Tuesday, May 11, 2010

You are the average of the five people closest to you

Who are the five people closest to you? Are they relatives, friends, coworkers? If you took their annual salaries and averaged them up, how different is their salary from yours?

How different from you is their fitness level, their morals, and outlook on life?

I may be stretching here, but I'm guessing if you averaged the 5 people closest to you, they would hold similar values, fitness level and probably be close to having the same income as you.

What am I suggesting? That if you want to make a change in your life, you should ditch your friends and family? No. But if you need to be better with money, hang out with people who are good with money, if you want to be a better parent, hang out with parents who have great kids, it you want a healthier lifestyle, avoid those who eat at McDonald's every day.

Here's my story:
Last Saturday, I ran the New Prague Half-Marathon. New this year to the half, were pace setters. If you wanted to finish at a specific time, you could run alongside a pace setter (pace setters ran holding race finish time signs) and finish real close to that specific time.

I decided to run with a pace setter.

The experience was eye-opening for me. All throughout the race the pace setter was giving advice on how to run against the wind, how to face the large looming hill, and gave encouragement the final legs of the race when your body is weakest, and your mind must be strong so you can finish the race. The pace setter was a running expert.

Running with the pace setter vaulted me to a new personal best. Beating my previous time by 7 minutes. By surrounding myself with an expert runner, with their advice and encouragement, I did better than expected.

My advice, be careful who you hang out with, because you will become them. We all need pace setters in life, find the right one, and see where it takes you.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous... your comments reminded me of a person who was negative with me in an email awhile ago.

    In responding to this critical email, I carefully chose my words, I wrote and rewrote what I was going to say and spent a great deal of time making sure everything was positive. I must have spent over an hour on my response.

    Then in dawned on me. I had never spent an entire hour writing a letter to my parents, two of the most important people in the world to me. They sacrificed everything in life to make sure I had the right values, a solid education, and a chance to be more successful then they were. Sadly, I was spending all my energy on a person who was critical of me. I decided right then to focus my thoughts on more important matters and people.

    I write this not for you anonymous, but for others. To let them know the importance of focusing on those you love, on those that matter to you. Not on those habitual critics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete