Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sobriety Tests, New Cars, and Coffins

I just started reading "A Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. In one of the beginning sections the author talks about eternity. We all know someday we will die, and from the book Warren (and myself) believe that after you die you will either spend eternity in heaven with God, or you will be separated from his love.

The time spent here in your life is very short compared to where you will be in eternity. Which translates into... live a life using the talents and gifts God gave you, establish a relationship with God, and remember the problems we all experience in life are only short term.

The very next day after reading the eternity section, I got in my car and drove to work. On the highway I encountered a handicapped man behind his car given a sobriety test by two policemen. As I continued on my drive into downtown Le Sueur I see a brand new Ford vehicle that must have just ran into a telephone pole causing extensive damage. Then about a mile before I reach the office, a hearse pulls out in front of me. It was carrying a casket to the church for a funeral service. I followed the hearse a few blocks before I realized the rarity of this morning commute.

The message to me was clear. We all make mistakes in life, just like the drunken handicapped man, and we all are given raw deals like the damaged Ford car. But eventually we will be taken away, our bodies will remain in the ground while our souls go to heaven.

Don't lose perspective, don't lose sight of your purpose, and remember your place in eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment